So my first post about something cool that I am ACTUALLY doing is a really fun one. See, my bedroom is really boring right now, and the only thing that we have really done to it is paint the walls, despite the fact that we have lived in our beach-y home for over 7 months. My excuse is that I was too busy trying to get every other room in the house presentable. I’m still VERY far from that particular goal, but I felt that our bedroom really needed SOMETHING – even if it was small. Here’s the “before”:
As you can see, our bed is simply a mattress and box spring tossed onto the floor. Ugly! This thing needs to have an actual bed frame. Actually, what it needs is to be thrown out entirely, but there is no budget for a brand new bed! (I love my new wall colour BTW… It doesn’t show up well in the pictures, but it is a soft, mossy green. We have a picture rail about 4/5 of the way up the wall that was there when we moved in, so we left the rail white, and then painted the wall above the rail a very light green. It looks so great – I’ll be sure to post better pics in future posts!)
Anyhoo, back to the bed. I was totally inspired by this tutorial:
Like that blogger, we are trying to keep the budget under control, which means I am the DIY queen. Basically, you cover your box spring to look like it might be a bed frame, and then you prop it all up on legs, so that it appears to be the real deal. I modified the idea slightly for the actual upholstering – as I was worried that the above method wouldn’t provide full coverage of the bed (and then parts of the old, hideous box spring would show through).
What I used:
– 4 yards fabric
– sewing machine
– staple gun
– 8 small furniture legs
– white paint
Here’s what I did. I bought 4 yards of fabric on sale at Fabricland (which, I must say, is simultaneously the most hilarious and most depressing place, ever). I had to cut the fabric in half width-wise and sew it back together along the sides to make a large rectangle (so that the entire box spring would have fabric coverage, with room to spare, all in one sheet). I got to use my new hand-me-down sewing machine from my awesome MIL – bonus!
Once you have your cover all ready, you simply use a staple gun all the way around, ensuring that you are pulling tightly as you go. This is best with two people. I employed the hubs.
The hubs also very generously painted the 8 furniture legs white.
Poor furniture legs, one of the devilish dogs ate one! Doesn’t he look guilty?
Doesn’t matter! That leg was hidden well under the bed any way!
While the hubs was painting, I got to finishing the corners. I wanted each corner to have a little “tuck”. It required a bit of finesse. My first corner didn’t go so hot, but I did great after that. I fell totally in love with this staple gun! The trick is to make sure you are pulling as tightly as possible, and plan the “tuck” in advance so that you have an idea of where the fabric will go before actually stapling.
Once that was all done, it was time to put on the legs. You want to be sure that you are spreading out the legs so that weight is distributed evenly around the box spring to prevent warping. We did 3 down each side, and then 2 in the middle around the centre-ish. I used a drill to create holes where the legs would simply screw in – you can see I drilled right through the fabric. A little awkward, but it paid off, since the legs are holding the spare fabric in place. I decided against trimming the extra fabric, and instead stapling it up under the bed. I felt this was both quicker, and provided better coverage of the ugly box spring.
Now just flip the bed back over, and make it up. Ta-da! A bed that looks like a bed!
In total, this took about 2 hours, although if you are doing it all alone, it may be a bit longer than that. Good luck!